Found an awesome guide from Redditor zmedi that I just needed to share. Especially since the article apparently keeps getting downvoted. Presumably by some higher level players don’t want others to know these tricks (or they don’t like their gyms being taken).
So here it goes.
“I’ll make it really brief
Watch the yellow screen flash!!! That’s it. Forget everything else; ignore the animation, just watch for the flash, swipe to dodge, then quick attack. You will take no or very little damage.
The end. It’s that easy.
- The first time an opponent appears, it attacks twice. So dodge twice first: flashdodge flash dodge, then attack.
- If the server glitches/lags, you can take damage
- You can safely get in one quick attack before the next flash – sometimes you can get two (flash dodge, attack, attack, flash dodge, attack, attack…repeat).
- You are vulnerable after using a special attack because you can’t immediately dodge – don’t use them unless you need to.
- You’re up against the clock. If your 800CP is against a 1400CP, you can avoid taking damage, but you may not be able to whittle down their health in time.
- You can cut through Pokemon within +/- 200CP of your attacker like butter (without losing health)
- You get a lot of xp at no cost for taking down high level gyms, and it’s fun! (although it does take a while)
- It is way more fun than spamming quick attack and it’ll save you a TON of revive and health potions.
- Bonus: you can really annoy the ‘super-gyms’ when you take them down by yourself!
Edit: To clarify, the safest/easiest way is to only attack once after dodging. Then wait for another flash and repeat. Like this: flash – dodge – attack (one tap)….. flash – dodge – attack (one tap)….. repeat After a while, you’ll figure out where you can sneak in two taps before dodging and that you can dodge right or left.”
To help further – Here is a Video for the “technique”:
Comment below if you have any questions.